There has been a ton of chatter about what an SEO will bring to the party in 2014, what their focus will be, what role with they play now that search has changed…
Perhaps they feel this way because it’s much more complex today with Hummingbird – Content, Entities, Personas, Semantics, Conversational Search…
Trying to build systems and processes to do all this while on a small business budget (when a big budget is required), is seemingly impossible…
For those of us whom embrace change, adapt to provide new services that differentiate yourself from our competitors, are loving it.
Today SEO’s have a unique opportunity to capitalize upon this pivot to provide innovative services to their client focusing on a Hummingbird world of search.
It Starts With An Entity
Understanding our Entity and its components (or lack thereof), enables us to begin to strengthen our foundation (or start building it), it’s components and how the Entity is viewed by search (and readers alike).
As we dig deeper into our Entities, key elements that we have direct influence over (content, profiles, personas, messaging etc) can be focused on developing terms and phrases that can contribute to our overall marketing strategies, more specifically, optimizing our creative works promotions.
- An Entity is the sum of its Authors, Contributor Profiles/Entities, and the interactions amongst and between other Entities.
- Creative Works include the Publisher (Brand) & Author signals for these works from social and other creative works.
- Conversations consist of signals, backlinks, shares, retweets and discussions about the content from other Entities
“Google finds terms and phrases to associate with entities that can be considered terms of interest for businesses, locations, and other entities. These terms can influence what shows up in search results and in knowledge panels for those entities. Consider it part of a growing knowledge base of concepts, entities, attributes for entities, and keywords that shape the new Google after Hummingbird. Semantics play a role as things that specific entities are known for are identified.” – Bill Slawski
Over the holidays, as you’re reflecting on this past year and looking towards the new, ask yourself these questions:
- How can you adapt your current strategies to align with Hummingbird?
- What elements are you missing from your current processes to successfully market your entities for 2014?